What is Gravity Die Casting
Gravity Die Casting is a permanent mold casting technique in which the molten metal is poured into the mold by way of a vessel or ladle. Tilting the die controls the filling of the cavity. Undercuts and holes can be then incorporated into the designs with the sand cores. This method offers superior surface roughness and mechanical properties to sand casting.
Gravity Die Casting Process
Gravity die casting was one of the first metal and light alloy die casting processes. To reduce oxidation and foam, the aim is to fill the die with as little turbulence as possible via one or more channels. This lowers porosity and flaws, resulting in better metal quality in the end casting.
The process of gravity die casting are as follows:
1. The Die Release Agent
The heated mold is sprayed with a substance that aids in release in the first stage of the process. This release agent has several functions. It includes aiding in cooling when the alloy component has been removed from the die surface. It prepares the die for the next part to be poured into in this way.
2. Metal Pouring
When the coating is dry, the batch of the molten alloy is poured into the mold. The metal is conveyed to various sections of the cavity via conductors, allowing it to fill all the voids. A specific runner ensures that the liquid reaches all parts of the cavity from bottom to top. It eliminates turbulence in the hardened part as well.
3. Releasing the Part
The part is ejected because of the heat-sinking effect of the die and the release agent spray coating it. When it’s cool enough, the operator or a machine opens the die to liberate the component. The hardened casting at this point is then processed to remove the gates and runners that feed molten metal into the die cavity.
Advantages Of Gravity Die Casting
Gravity Die Casting is an advantage because it has the ability create dense castings. It also produces strong high-quality castings with decent mechanical properties
- The design is suitable for high-volume, automated manufacturing.
- High-quality, high-carbon steels that are heat treatable.
- Tight tolerance, excellent and accurate finished parts.
- It is possible to pre-form and use disposable sand core pieces to make reverse draft internal compartments.
- Steel pins and internal inserts may be used to create the part.
- It has fewer production steps.
- Faster manufacturing process because it uses a less complicated machine.
Applications Of Gravity Die Casting
Gravity die casting is a preferable method to create a wide range of complex aluminum parts.
- Medical uses such as surgical and hospital equipment.
- Defense purposes such as military weapons, surveillance, and other equipment.
- Lighting uses like electrical components, light fixtures, housing, etc.
- Automotive parts
Gravity Die Casting Factory
At JC Casting, we produce high-quality gravity die castings for a diverse range of applications. We love to assist and provide competent services. We value achieving our clients’ objectives of excellence. Contact us today! Email: email@example.com